Heartbreak ove roofing while children present said:May 17, 2010 8:08 pm PST
One of my dear friends, Marty Jones, brought this serious matter to the attention of our board and as a result, had our roofing project halted. So many of our teachers felt the same way, but were afraid of coming forth with complaints due to backlash from principal and the central office. I'm so very grateful to have such involved parents who will speak up and speak out..........making NO apologies. You can't be aggressive enough when it comes to our children. My child stated that he/she felt ill all last week........the same week our project began.
Is "cost effectiveness" more important than the safety of our children, and the teachers who work so hard to take care of them? It's bad enough that teachers and students alike had to deal with other air quality issues in our building a couple of years ago that led to many teachers having chronic upper respiratory conditions.
The irony in all of this is that our school system has spent tens of thousands of dollars in energy conservation, pushing for being more "green". Yet when it comes to the green in the form of dollars, it is someone's faulty opinion to go the quick and easy route. Then belittle the intelligence of a highly intelligent community by stating that the pungent odor, smoke that has gotten into the building, is not going to hurt anyone.
Marty has my support, and in my opinon, those who tried to keep this from the community, needs to answer to this. Good luck with all of our endeavors as you contninue to stop the roofing project in your community.
Amy Fields said:April 20, 2010 8:08 am PST
Content copyright . The No More Tar Roofs Campaign by Shelby Rodriguez. All rights reserved.